Monday, February 19, 2018

From Here to Eternity by James Jones

I was given a copy of "From Here to Eternity" by a friend and have been reading it over the last month or so. At different times I read passages to Jim. He spent 20 years in the Navy and found parallels between shipboard life in the Navy and barracks life in the Army. I don't know about the movie, I've never seen it, but I am sure it doesn't come close to the in depth lives exposed in the story found in the pages of a ragged 60 year old copy. Alcohol, punishment, loneliness in a crowd, shallow relationships that are easily walked away from, living in the moment or rather living on paydays and then enduring the tedium until the next one.

The story takes place in peace time Hawaii and ends in the first days after the attack on Pearl Harbor. There are no happy endings here but life does go on.

The linked picture below is through Amazon and I get a little bit if you click and then make a purchase. Not much but you might help me knit a hat or two and I say thanks.




Back with more again soon. Take care and stay cozy!

No comments:

Post a Comment