Friday, March 6, 2020

A Hard Week

I don't have any crafty new things to show off this week. I do have another rug started. I have been reading daily, a habit that is as necessary to me as breathing. This hard week did have one very bright spot in it. I met up with a friend for breakfast and we chatted for hours. 

Beyond that I have talked nearly every day to my mother. These calls have been emotionally draining. The aftermath of them have been disturbing my sleep patterns and I end this week incredibly tired. 

My mother, at 85, is going through some changes with more to come. She is distressed by all the details she doesn't understand. I have spent hours giving reassurances that things are alright and she is overthinking details that aren't worth the bother to no avail. My other siblings have been doing the same. Some of them live close enough to be there physically more often than I can. They are all carrying the same emotional load that I am. The conversations start again the next day with the same rants over and over and over again. I have never felt so powerless and useless in my life. 

I don't want to put more about this here today. I just can't. I want to hear some happiness in her voice and be able to sleep instead of being unable to shut off the swirling thoughts on how to fix something that may very well be impossible to fix.

Photo by Ross Findon on Unsplash
Change is incredibly hard for some and especially for my mother. My hope is that when I face the changes that come with age in my own life I can face them with grace.

I leave this post today hoping to feel better when I post again next Friday.
Back with more again soon. Take care and stay cozy!

No comments:

Post a Comment