Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Walking in a New Way

Most years I don't ask for anything for Christmas. I have whatever I want or need and giving people and especially Jim gift ideas is really hard. I also believe that Christmas is for kids. I think that about Easter and Halloween too. But I digress. 

Over the last couple years I have developed a serious walking habit. I really try to get in 10000 steps at least 5 days a week and most weeks I do that. 

In Jackson during the winter it is harder to get out for walks. It is not the cold that keeps me in however. In Wyoming the streets are not cleared to bare pavement like Utah does and spoiled me by doing that. Here in Jackson there are lots of runners and walkers out and about all winter long but not me. The problem is that the streets and most of the intersections develop layers of ice. I am not willing to risk my old bones on an icy road or sidewalk. Once winter sets in and it looks like this


or this outside my window it is time to stay in to walk. I go out for groceries of course. Still gotta eat! But I walk carefully over the ice in parking lots hoping that today is not the day I go down and break a hip.


So this year I asked for a treadmill. I have used it for a little more than a month now and I really like it. I get my steps in and feel like I am improved my chances of a good and mobile old age with every step. 

We ordered it from Amazon (where else does everything come from anymore?) along with a mat to put under it and some recommended oil to lubricate the belt to keep it running smoothly. I am very happy about this purchase so far. Now if I could just get Jim to use it too. I am sure it would be better for him that sleeping his way through the news or shows on the Food Network. The man doesn't cook but watches the Food Network but I guess that should be a post for another day.


Back with more again soon. Mask up, stay safe! Take care and stay cozy!

No comments:

Post a Comment