Thursday, March 6, 2008

Night Owl or Early Bird?

I have been trying to create a pattern to my days so I can accomplish more of the things that I want to get done. I go back and forth between saying I should get up and be productive first thing in the morning and waiting till evening or even night to get started.
My own choice if I could completely set my schedule would be a slow start to the day. By day I mean after the sun is up not anytime after about 3 am like my early bird husband. I love getting up and reading blogs and forums with my coffee. I could really spend an hour or more doing this. This is also the time I check my shops, see if any of my favorites have sold and update the announcement on Etsy to say that I logged in that morning. My google reader has about 600 feeds on it. Thank goodness you all don't write every day! Next is getting showered, dressed and getting something to eat. After that I do housework type chores for awhile. I like to spend some time in the afternoon with either needlework or reading and sometimes a nap but not every day. By late afternoon I am planning dinner and getting it ready for when Jim comes home from work. We spend a couple hours after dinner watching TV and usually I have a project to work on then and after that he is off to bed early because he gets up in the middle of the night by choice(silly man).  Somewhere between 8 and 10 I find myself back at the computer like tonight seeing what is new in blogs and forums for the day. After this I am ready to start creating something. This is the time of day I like to play with materials, look for inspirations, plan new projects and so on.  I would be happy to work on these things till 2 or 3 am. The problem with this is that the light sleeper in the house would be disturbed by the sewing machines running and other noises so I find that I have to wait until he is at work for those kind of things.
What I would like to know is how others fit creative time into their lives? How do you fit it in if you have a job or children or husbands or wives or partners or households to manage or any or all of these things? I would be interested to know what you do to feed your creative side and still do that day in day out normal stuff. Your comments may help some one like me look at things in a new way.
Please share. Your comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment