Thursday, August 27, 2009

Old and Continuing Favorite Craft

When looking for a new project to keep me busy there is one technique I have gone to over and over. I have sold many thread crochet items at craft fairs through the years including things like snowflakes, angels, doilies, edged hemstitched baby and home things. I have sold some of this type of work to people that know how to crochet but don't want to work with fine threads. These customers certainly had a true appreciation on the craft and I thank them for that.

Thread crochet using fine threads and very small hooks has always fascinated me. Just the very idea of taking a piece of thread and a small silver hook to create a decorative piece of lace gives me a sense of competence and pride and the larger and more complex, the more I like it.

All three of the pieces I am showing you today use the pineapple design as the main feature. The top picture is a bit of a doily that lives on my coffee table. The middle picture is of a very large doily I made many years ago. I use it as a cover for the top and back of a chair.

The work you see above was not made by me but I rescued it. I found it in a pile of other things at an antique fair. The work is not perfect but pretty. It is made of eight large blocks and is big enough to cover the back of my couch. It would make a beautiful tablecloth but I don't want anything to happen to it.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

  1. THere is something utterly colonial about crocheted items on furniture. What a wonderful craft to be a part of. Marilyn over at Our victorian Cottage also does this beautiful work. Very talented and patient! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous! I would love to learn how to crochet. But even if I do, I don't know if I'll ever be able to do doilies and things like that. It looks so difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all beautiful and your pictures are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom does thread crochet - but I don't think I've ever seen her do pieces that big! Lovely work :)

    ReplyDelete