Friday, June 7, 2019

Being a Real Grownup

My birthday is tomorrow. I will be turning 64. I will get phone calls from faraway children and thank them and miss them. I will get asked by my husband what I would like to do on my special day. I will say it doesn't matter and mean it. I don't eat anything with sugar in it anymore so there will be no cake with candles. I am used to that now since I gave up sugar more than 20 years ago to head off a family trait of Type 2 Diabetes. So far is has worked.

With all that said the day will be a good one. I am not sad and without grand expectations I don't get disappointed. Physically I feel really good these days. I sleep well, eat well and get those 10,000 steps most days and a couple times a week do some strength training for my bones.

I remember turning 27 and for some reason it struck me that I was a mother of three and supposed to be a real grownup. It is called adulting now isn't it? I didn't like that birthday at all. The big zero birthdays of 30, 40, 50 and even 60 didn't phase me at all, just 27. I still struggle with being a real grownup, not even sure of what it means.

I thought by now I would be a wise self assured old lady ready to pass on the wisdom of my age. That hasn't happened yet and probably never will. I have doubts and consider myself still learning. I have come to think of this as a good thing.

I do still make goals and look forward to projects I want to accomplish. I have more ideas in my head than I will ever get done for knitting, crocheting, sewing, quilting and more. I am never bored. Projects to do and books to read along with Netflix and Amazon Video binge watching take care of that. All of these things keep me out of trouble and happily occupied.

I have one other goal that I am very serious about. I come from a family of many long lived people. I want to have a 90th birthday and I have 26 more birthdays to go to get there. This goal is the reason I quit smoking 12 years ago. This goal is the reason I try to stick to healthy habits.

So tomorrow, the day that marks my 64th year is another day towards my goal  of 90 years and I will be and am thankful for it and each day that comes along.

Will I still be here and blogging at 90?

Will I still be having a life worth a few words and be able to write them?

Who knows?

Maybe.

Will you still take the time to read and comment sometimes if we make it that long?


Photo by Adi Goldstein on Unsplash

Back with more again soon. Take care and stay cozy!

No comments:

Post a Comment