Wednesday, July 11, 2018

A Summer Project

My life for the last couple years has meant going back and forth between Arizona and Wyoming. Currently I am in Wyoming for the summer and looking forward to spending time with grandkids and on the boat on Jackson Lake.

Being here in Jackson, away from my studio set up and supplies left in Arizona I wondered what I would do to keep my hands busy on long summer evenings. Actually my mother ended up helping me out with that.

More than 30 years ago I started a Cathedral Window Quilt. I was going to use up bits of fabric from the clothes I sewed back then for my children and myself. The barely started quilt ended up being left behind at my mother's house when we moved from San Diego to Salt Lake City. My daughter brought the quilt to me after a visit to grandma's house earlier this year.

My instructions are on a photocopied page from a magazine but you can now find a how to at Instructables.com.

Below is a glimpse of what I have so far. These blocks we already done. In the basket the whole project came in there are probably enough muslin squares cut to make a quilt. For the small patches that go in the "windows" I have about 75 different fabrics cut into small squares. You will probably notice that I sewed a lot of gingham back in the day.


I like putting the patches in groups of four. If you ever make one of these you could make each window different. As the blocks get joined a new places to put more patches will get created. This quilt gets its layers from folded fabric rather than batting. It is also all done with hand sewing so if that idea soothes you like it does to me, this is a quilt that you may want to make. 

Back with more again soon. Take care and stay cozy!

No comments:

Post a Comment