Monday, April 5, 2010

Typical Monday

I always seem to start the week full of grand plans and aspirations for getting arranged, cleaned, organized, healthy, fulfilling and on and on. This week started with a walk.

The push to do that walk came from my phone. You see I got a Droid for Christmas and you can put cool applications on it for just about everything. Well I found this little free one called Cardio Trainer. This app tracks you on GPS and measures your distance, speed and calories burned. You can save your history and get graphs and charts of what you are doing. Sounds good, right?

So to use this thing to help meet my fighting menopause, low thyroid, over 50, quit smoking and snacked too much weight loss goals I decided to try it out.

I went out the front door, turned it on and started at a brisk pace. Mind you I am basically a sitter and knitter in real life but want to change that. I walked about 1/2 mile away from my house and came back by a slightly different route that was about 1/2 mile. I figure a mile was a good start. I walked quickly and was feeling it in my legs and breathing. Not killer but I knew my body was working. The result? I walked one mile in about 20 minutes at an average speed of about 3 miles an hour (is that a good pace?). I burned a grand total of 88 calories!? I expected more. I guess I will have to increase distance to do more calorie burning.

So how is your week starting?

1 comment:

  1. YAY for you!!!!
    I often wonder if any calories counting app is actually accurate. Perhaps it is some sort of average. Let's say you were swinging your arms while walking. Would the app know that and adjust calorie count accordingly?

    ReplyDelete