Monday, February 25, 2008

Kayaking for the First Time

While in California I got to spend some time with my sister Kristi. She has taken up kayaking as a hobby and wanted to share it with me. We got together on Sunday afternoon on the 17th along with her friend Kathy and my daughter Cindy who I made the trip with. Kathy is the photographer on this little expedition through the Channel Islands Marina. I want to thank her for making sure we had copies of the pictures before we left to come home.

kayaking 003

I am on the left, my daughter is in the middle and my sister Kristi is on the right. Coming from Arizona I was freezing in Utah at Cindy's house and still cold in the 60 degree dampness of being by the ocean. I grew up in Southern California but have been away too long for that to be a day for a short sleeved T-shirt like my sister.

 

 

kayaking 004

 

We saw lots of birds along the way. Many of them had been around people enough that if you glided up to them quietly you could get fairly close before they flew away. My daughter kind of made fun of my fascination with the birds but watching them was a good excuse to quit paddling and rest a minute. Sometimes it was hard to tell exactly who was checking out who.

kayaking 042

 

Of course if you put four women in boats with paddles some splashing has to happen. Cindy got the worst of that but she also managed to get me once or twice. It didn't really matter because you are going to get wet paddling in a boat so low in the water no matter what.

kayaking 014

 

 

We did see some really cool looking boats. This was one that Cindy wanted to make sure we got a picture of for her son.

kayaking 018 kayaking 032

On the way back to the boat ramp we got together for one more picture on the water. I can see why my sister enjoys this hobby. I had a great time and would love to go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment