Monday, July 2, 2007

It's About Etsy

Going through knitting blogs about 2 years ago I ran across a mention of a website named Etsy. I wish I could remember the name of the blog but it has disappeared from this old lady's memory. After that mention I checked it out and fell in love with it. I have crafted one thing or another for as far back as I can remember - knitting, crocheting, embroidery, quilting - anything with a needle, hook or thread. I did a little tole painting in there somewhere too as well as leather work. I started doing craft shows off and on in the early 1980's in San Diego, Ca. With a move to Utah I started doing craft shows there as well.

With the growth of the web I knew someday there would be a place for crafters and artists. I checked out site after site never quite finding a place that felt comfortable. Then one day surfing the blogs on a lunch break as mentioned before I found Etsy. It was wonderful to look around. The site design was and still is made so the products are the stars. Everything on the site is made to show off the creations of artists and crafters. The community spirit in the forums is amazing. The range of works this site has attracted is so wide as to be unbelievable.

Please if you value handcrafted work of any and all kinds check it out. You can look at individual sellers, shop by categories, check out what has just been listed or sold and see little user created mini galleries called treasuries. Where else can you find an arts festival 24/7/365 around the world with not hundreds but thousands of vendors?

Thanks to the people who created this place. The world needed it.

Let me, and everyone else you know, hear what you think about Etsy after you check it out for yourself.

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I may have to lift some words since my mind is fried today!!! Go ETSY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Etsy all the way,,,I love it...I might not sel alot but it gets my creative juices flowing...thanks for a great article...

    Devon @

    www.strawberrylane.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Etsy. It has allowed me to take selling my organic creations to the next level and really try to make this a full-time job... and they are *so* supportive and wonderful there! Plus, I find gifts for others that I feel good about, because I know I'm supporting someone just like me - an independent crafter or artisan.
    Go Etsy! :)

    ReplyDelete